Riverbend Park Upland Trail
Click here for a map
in pdf format for printing.
Riverbend Park Upland Trail
natural surface trails
This walk provides a circuit tour of Riverbend Park. It offers excellent
views of the Potomac River and the wildflowers along its banks. Explore the
interior of the park with its many trails and try to imagine the area when
people had homes here. There are many turns on the interior trails so keep
your eyes open as you take this walk
The trail may not be usable during flood stage and may be muddy for several
days after rain.
- The walk starts on the north side of the boat ramp at the end of Potomac
Hills Street near the visitor center. The wooded trail will be found entering
the grassy area near the river. Walk north with the river on your right.
- The trail intersects with a path to the left marked with a Nature Center
sign. Continue straight on the present path along the river.
- The trail turns left and then right to cross a bridge. Continue straight
on the trail after crossing the bridge.
- At the next trail split turn left to follow the wide trail away from the
- The trail approaches a pond. Place your mouse over the picture to view
the change in the pond from March until August. Take the trail on the left
side of the pond up the hill.
- Turn left at the next trail intersection marked by a sign indicating no
bicycles or horses. The trail crosses a boardwalk for a short distance.
- The trail intersects with an asphalt path. Turn right onto the asphalt
- The trail reaches the front of the nature center. Turn left to follow
the sidewalk extending from the doorway. Turn left onto the asphalt path
next to the outdoor display where the sidewalk curves to the right.
- Turn right onto the first intersecting trail. Several wooden steps mark
- After a short distance turn right onto the next trail. It goes for a short
distance into a meadow. Turn right again where it intersects with the remains
of an old dirt driveway and follow the driveway.
- The driveway intersects with a service road. Turn left onto the service
road going down the hill.
- Turn right onto the path marked by the large Uplands Trail sign. This
is the start of the Uplands Trail. There should be markers at all intersecting
trails indicating all turns that should be taken while on this trail.
- The trail passes a display case in the field. Continue to the right of
the display case.
- In the woods a sign indicates that horses should turn left. Continue straight
unless you are riding a horse. The paths rejoin down the hill.
- The trail crosses the entrance road to the park.
- The trail crosses a short bridge at the bottom of a hill and climbs the
- At the next trail intersection turn right. After a few feet turn left
to continue in the original direction. Markers for the Upland Trail indicate
- Turn right at the next trail intersection.
- After a short distance turn left onto the intersecting trail.
- After the trail crosses a bridge turn left onto the intersecting trail.
- Turn right at the next trail marker. The trail goes up a hill and logs
are placed across it as shown in the picture.
- The trail ends at an intersecting trail and marker. Turn left.
- The trail intersects with a service road with many signs. Cross the service
road onto the remains of an asphalt driveway.
- After a few feet turn right at the marker for the natural surface trail.
- Turn left at the next trail marker. Follow the trail next to a small gully
down the hill.
- The trail reaches the river. This is the end of the Uplands Trail and
the markers. Turn left to follow the trail along the river going upstream.
- The trail enters a grassy meadow with a display case on the left. Continue
along the trail next to the river.
- The trail enters the parking area completing the walk.
Next - Driving Directions
Home - Contents