Parkway to Pipelines
Parkway to Pipelines
Length: 4.1 miles
Surface: paved trail, sidewalks, short grassy section
Surroundings: roads, pipelines, homes
This walk will take you on a new section of the Fairfax County Parkway that
opened around the start of 2001. From there you will follow a portion of Wiehle
Avenue that was opened within the previous year. You will return following
portions of 2 pipelines that cross Reston.
There is still construction on portions of the trail along the Fairfax County
Parkway so walkers should be on the lookout for obstacles that might cause
- The walk starts at the parking lot for the Autumnwood Recreation Area.
It is located off Walnut Branch Lane near the intersection with Bennington
Woods Rd. Take the short asphalt trail directly across the parking lot from
the pool building. Turn right at the wide asphalt trail along Walnut Branch
- A wide asphalt trail branches off to the right. Remain on the trail along
Walnut Branch Lane.
- At the intersection with the Fairfax County Parkway turn right to follow
the trail along the Parkway.
- The trail and Parkway intersect with Lake Newport Road next to Armstrong
Elementary School. Remain on the trail along the Parkway. Shortly after
passing the school you will be leaving Reston.
- The trail curves to the left and starts down hill near Cheviot Drive.
The Parkway split Cheviot Drive and Stuart Road and one must now drive over
a mile to go from one portion of the roads to the other. The northern portion
of Stuart Road has been renamed Shaker Woods Rd. The eastern portion of
Cheviot Drive has been renamed Champion Lake Ct. The buildings belong to
the Fairfax County Water Authority. Sugarload
Mountain can be seen in the distance on a clear day. It is 19 miles
away as the crow flies but takes over an hour to reach by auto from this
- The road to the right of the trail was built to connect the eastern portion
of Cheviot Drive (Champion Lake Ct) to the northern portion of Stuart Road
(Shaker Woods Road). The lovely older home previously on the west side of
the Parkway and shown in the picture was just barely out of the demolition
path for the Parkway. However, it has now been demolished to build new homes
on the property.
- The Parkway intersects with Wiehle Avenue. Cross Wiehle Avenue, turn right
and follow the asphalt trail eastbound along Wiehle Avenue.
- Wiehle Avenue intersects with Shaker Woods Road. Cross Shaker Woods Road
at this point and continue following Wiehle Avenue on the northern side.
There are fences on both sides of Wiehle Avenue in this block.
- Wiehle Avenue intersects with Pellow Circle Trail. Cross that road and
turn left on the wide asphalt trail. Within a few feet turn right to follow
the asphalt trail along the pipeline right of way.
- There is a fence across the pipeline right of way at the top of the hill.
The trail turns right and enters the woods. It then parallels the pipeline.
- The trail leaves the woods and re-enters the cleared portion of the pipeline.
Continue on the trail.
- The trail intersects with another pipeline and trail running in a perpendicular
direction. Turn right and follow the trail along the new pipeline.
- The trail crosses Southington Lane and goes down a hill.
- The trail reaches Wiehle Avenue. Cross at the crosswalk and continue past
the sidewalk on the other side to cross the stream. You are now back in
Reston. Turn right to follow the asphalt path a short distance.
- The trail turns left and goes up a short hill through a wooded area. At
the top it crosses a private driveway and re-enters the pipeline area. Continue
to follow the trail along the pipeline.
- The trail crosses Deer Forest Road. Continue along the pipeline.
- At the top of the hill the paved trail ends. Continue walking across the
grass to the next road.
- Cross Quail Ridge Court and turn left to follow the sidewalk on the far
side. Photo 18a shows the pipeline on the other side of the hedge but the
walk takes a slight detour at this point to follow the street.
- Continue along the sidewalk past the intersection with Quail Ridge Drive.
- Near the other end of Quail Ridge Court turn left to follow the trail
along the next section of pipeline. After passing the house another trail
joins from the left. Continue on the trail along the pipeline and go up
- Near the top of the hill another narrow trail goes off to the left. Continue
along the main trail along the pipeline.
- The trail reaches Lake Newport Road. Turn right to follow the wide asphalt
trail along that road.
- The trail crosses Elk Point Drive. Continue to follow the present trail.
- A wide trail intersects from the right. Continue to follow the present
trail and Lake Newport Road.
- Cross Lake Newport Road at the crosswalk just prior to Armstrong Elementary
School. On the other side take the wide trail to the left down the short
hill. Do not take the trail to the right down the steps.
- Continue on the present trail past the wide trail intersecting from the
left. Also, do not turn right onto the narrow trail intersecting shortly
afterwards from the right.
- The trail re-enters the pipeline right of way. Turn right to follow the
intersecting trail along the pipeline.
- The trail turns right and a pool appears on the left. Follow the trail
along the pool and do not take the next trail to the right.
- The trail turns left at the end of the pool fence. The trail leads from
this point back to the parking area where you started.
Next - Pictorial Directions
Home - Contents