This walk will take you along a large part of the Lake Audubon
shore line. It also includes a section of Lake Thoreau at the dam. This is probably
the best route for watching lake activities in Reston.
The walk starts at the Starbucks across from the Sun Trust
Bank in the South Lakes Village Center.
- Follow the sidewalk away from the shopping center with
the bank on your left. After crossing some driveways the sidewalk becomes
an asphalt trail.
- Upon reaching South Lakes Drive turn right to continue
following the asphalt trail along South Lakes Drive. Lake Thoreau will shortly
appear on your right.
- Turn left at the next intersecting asphalt trail. The
trail passes under South Lakes Drive in a tunnel.
- After leaving the tunnel the trail crosses a driveway
to a school on the left. It also passes an asphalt trail on the left. Shortly
after this turn right to cross Ridge Heights Road and take the asphalt trail
along Owls Cove Lane.
- The asphalt trail turns to the right. Continue straight
along Owls Cove Lane using the concrete sidewalk.
- At the end of Owls Cove Lane turn right to follow a trail
down the steps.
- The trail will bring you out at Lake Audubon and turn
left to follow the lake.
- The Lake Audubon dam can be seen in the distance from
- After climbing a short hill in a wooded area turn right
to follow an intersecting trail down a long series of steps to the base of
- After crossing the dam the trail turns right to pass
through the woods. It crosses a stream on a bridge and turns right.
- Continue straight at the next stairway but notice the
homes on the left. They are 5 stories tall and have elevators.
- Continue straight at the intersecting asphalt trail.
There are good views of the lake from here.
- The trail enters the Lake Audubon Pool parking lot. There
is a boat ramp on the right.
- Exit the pool parking lot and turn left on the asphalt
trail walking up a hill along Twin Branches Road.
- Cross Twin Branches Road at Lake Audubon Court in order
to stay on the asphalt trail as it follows the other side of the road.
- Twin Branches Road intersects with South Lakes Drive.
You can either cross to the South Lakes Village Center at the traffic light
to end the walk or turn right on the asphalt trail along South Lakes Drive
to utilize a pedestrian tunnel avoiding the traffic.
- Turn left at the intersecting asphalt trail and walk
down the hill and through the tunnel under South Lakes Drive.
- After leaving the tunnel you are at the end of the walk
in the South Lakes Village Center.
Next - Driving Directions