Reston South Golf Course View
Reston South Golf Course View
Length: 2.5 miles
Surface: paved trail and sidewalks
Exposure: sun and shade
Surroundings: homes, woods, golf course, streets
This walk will take you along a portion of the Reston South Golf Course.
The path is adjacent to the golf course in several areas and walkers should
be alert for golf balls in motion. None of the paths are located on golf course
- The walk starts on the east side of Terraset Elementary School. Follow
the asphalt path leading from the tunnel under South Lakes Drive towards
the back of the school.
- A path branches to the right in back of the school. Continue on the path
going slightly to the left with the playground on the right.
- The path goes down a hill into the woods and starts back up a short steep
hill. Take the asphalt path branching back down to the right.
- The path crosses a stream and splits. Take the path to the right up the
- The path comes to a wall with a path intersecting from the left. Take
the path to the right.
- The path comes to a tunnel under Soapstone Drive. Go through the tunnel.
- After exiting the tunnel take the path to the right through the trees
along Soapstone Drive.
- The path enters a grassy area along Soapstone Drive. Continue straight.
- The path crosses Glencourse Lane and enters the woods. Continue straight
into the woods.
- The path enters a cleared area with a path to the left. Go straight and
re-enter the treed section.
- At the next trail intersection turn left onto the path through the woods.
The path to the right goes to Soapstone Drive.
- The path goes between houses and crosses Glencourse Lane again. Follow
the path past the playground and then turning left towards the woods.
- A path appears from the left. Continue straight on the present path.
- The path enters the golf course area. Do not take the narrow path to the
right that leads to the street.
- Note the parallel path to the left. This is for golf carts and should
not be utilized on this walk.
- The path turns to the right and re-enters the woods.
- A trail intersects to the right. Continue straight through the woods.
- The path reaches a sidewalk along Soapstone Drive. Turn left and follow
the sidewalk. You may cross Soapstone at the point where you can get the
best view of the cars in each direction. Follow the sidewalk on the other
side in the same direction heading north.
- The flower garden along the golf course and the golf cart path mark the
end of the sidewalk on the west side of Soapstone Drive. Cross to the east
side if you have not already done so.
- This is a view of the golf course on the east side of Soapstone Drive.
Do not use the golf cart paths shown. Follow the sidewalk along Soapstone
Drive to Sunrise Valley Drive. The tall net in the distance is used to prevent
golf balls from hitting the buildings and day care area to the left.
- The path follows Sunrise Valley Drive to the right.
- The path goes down a short hill and enters a shopping center. Follow the
sidewalk in front of the shops.
- The sidewalk passes a day care center on the right.
- The asphalt path reappears and goes up a short hill to the right.
- The path crosses Approach Lane. Continue straight on the path between
- The path crosses Weathersfield Court. Continue straight on the path between
- Just before the path reaches the golf course it turns left. Follow the
path between the houses.
- The path enters a cul-de-sac at Weybridge Lane. Take the sidewalk to the
left and continue to the next street.
- Cross Great Meadow Lane and take the narrow asphalt path on the other
side of the street. The path goes behind homes and bends to the right.
- At the next intersection take the narrow asphalt path to the right.
- At the next intersection take the narrow asphalt path to the left.
- The trail enters a circle at the end of Gatesborough Lane. Follow the
sidewalk on the left side of the street.
- Cross Upper Lakes Drive to the sidewalk on the other side next to the
tennis courts and turn right along the sidewalk. Do not take the wide asphalt
trail to the left after the tennis courts.
- After passing Great Meadow Drive on your right cross Upper Lakes Drive
and take the wide asphalt trail up the hill away from the street.
- The trail enters the golf course area again. Do not take the narrow asphalt
trail to the left.
- The trail crosses over an inlet to Lake Thoreau. The bridge is popular
with duck and geese watchers.
- The trail goes up a steep hill and turns left to pass between the houses.
- The trail crosses Purple Beech Drive and continues straight into a meadow
just beyond the trees shown.
- Take the intersecting trail to the left to continue through the meadow.
- The trail crosses a bridge and starts up the hill behind homes. Do not
take the narrow trail to the left.
- At the top of the hill the trail enters a tunnel under Ridge Heights Road.
Do not take the wide asphalt trail to the left.
- After exiting the tunnel you are back at Terraset Elementary School where
you started the walk.