Burke Centre - The Woods
here for map in pdf format for printing.
Burke Centre - The Woods
Length: 3.6 miles
Surface: paved or gravel
Exposure: sun and shade
Surroundings: woods, streams, homes,
The walk starts from the Burke Centre Town Center parking lot
at Burke Centre Parkway and Burke Commons Road. Park as far east in the shopping
center as possible as the walk starts from that point. Burke Commons Road
becomes Pond Spice Lane on the south side of Burke Centre Parkway.
- The walk starts on the asphalt trail on the east side of the Burke Centre
Town Center next to the entrance road. The trail follows the entrance road
away from Burke Centre Parkway and then curves to the right to go down a
stairway into the woods. At the bottom of the hill keep to the left at the
path intersections so that the stream remains on your right.
- The trail ends at an intersecting trail. Turn right to cross the bridge
over the stream. Then turn left to continue following the stream with the
stream on your left and homes on your right.
- Continue straight at the tot lot where there are trails to both left and
right. The stream should remain on your left.
- At the next tot lot the trail bends to the left around the tot lot and
continues to follow the stream.
- At the next trail intersection the trail changes from asphalt to gravel.
Continue straight following the stream on the left.
- After the next trail intersection on the right the trail curves to the
right around the homes and away from the stream. It then heads in the opposite
direction on the other side of the homes.
- The trail goes down a flight of steps and intersects with Walnut Wood
Court. Cross that street and take the asphalt trail on the other side. The
trail leads to a bridge crossing a stream.
- A trail intersects just past the next tot lot. Turn left and follow the
asphalt trail to the end of the asphalt section. A gravel trail intersects
on the right. Turn right to follow the gravel trail.
- The gravel trail climbs a hill and splits. Take the trail to the left
up the hill to Wooden Hawk Lane.
- Cross Wooden Hawk Lane and turn right to follow the sidewalk to Wards
- Turn left to follow the sidewalk along Wards Grove Circle.
- Turn left onto the asphalt path between the houses just after 10020 Wards
Grove Circle. At the bottom of the hill turn left onto the intersecting
- The trail turns to the right and starts to head in the opposite direction.
Turn left at the intersecting trail.
- After a short distance turn left again onto the intersecting trail. The
trail follows a stream on the left. Do not turn at the next trail intersection
where a bridge crosses the stream.
- A gravel path intersects from the left. Continue on the asphalt trail.
A short distance later it turns right and goes up the hill to Wood Duck
- Cross Coffer Woods Road and take the asphalt trail directly opposite Wood
- A trail intersects to the left. Continue straight along the present trail.
- The trail intersects with New England Woods Drive. Turn left and follow
the sidewalk along that road.
- After walking 2 short blocks turn left and follow the sidewalk along New
England Woods Court.
- The sidewalk ends. Continue along the street for a short distance until
the street ends.
- Take the asphalt trail at the end of the street.
- At the intersecting trail turn left. The trail crosses a bridge a short
- A trail intersects from between the houses on the right. Continue straight
on the present trail.
- The trail curves to the right just prior to a basketball court. Turn left
onto the gravel trail after the basketball court.
- The trail follows a boardwalk over a wet area and leads to steps along
the side of a pond
- Turn right to follow the trail along the pond dam. At the end of the pond
turn right to follow the intersecting asphalt trail back into the woods.
- The next trail intersection is marked by rocks. Turn right.
- The next trail intersection is also marked by rocks. Turn left and walk
up the hill between the houses.
- At the top of the hill cross Nadick Road and turn right to follow the
sidewalk along that road.
- At the intersection with Wheaton Drive the sidewalk shifts to the other
side of Nadick Road. Continue along the sidewalk on the right side of that
- The road curves to the left. After passing 9848 Nadick Road turn right
onto the asphalt trail between the homes.
- Turn right onto the intersecting asphalt trail behind the homes.
- After a short distance the trail ends at an intersecting trail. Turn left
to follow that trail along a stream.
- A trail intersects and crosses a bridge to the left. Continue on the present
- Another trail intersects and crosses a bridge to the left. Turn left to
follow this trail between the homes.
- Continue along a short section of road until a sidewalk appears on the
right. Turn right to follow the sidewalk along Hemlock Woods Lane.
- At the intersection with Coffer Woods Road take the crosswalk to the other
side and turn right to follow the gravel trail along that road.
- After a short distance a dead end street (Chestnut Wood Lane) appears
on the left. The street does not connect to Coffer Woods Road. Turn left
to follow a flagstone pathway to the sidewalk on the right side of that
road. The sidewalk on the right side of Chestnut Wood Lane ends after a
short distance. Cross the street to continue on the sidewalk on the left
- Take the sidewalk on the left side of Chestnut Wood Lane to the end of
- At the end of the road take the short asphalt trail to the intersecting
trail. Turn left and cross a bridge after a short distance.
- After crossing the bridge turn right at the next trail intersection and
cross another bridge. The trail turns left and goes up a hill between fences.
- Continue to follow the fence on the left up the hill until the asphalt
trail leads into a concrete sidewalk at the end of Schoolhouse Woods Road.
Stay on the sidewalk along Schoolhouse Woods Road after crossing Park Woods
- At the intersection with Burke Centre Parkway turn right and follow the
asphalt trail along that road.
- After a block Terra Centre School appears on the left and the entrance
to the Burke Centre Town Center on the right. The rabbit shown was spotted
next to the shopping center access road. This concludes the walk.
Next - Driving Directions
Home - Contents